Friday, December 14, 2007

Generational Technology

I remember the days when we were learning so many things about life from our parents. I still learn a ton from mine (we just had an hour-long conversation about budgeting and loan money -- everyone's favorite subject), but I'm noticing more and more how I am helping bring them more into the 21st century of technology, thanks to Ed 504.

This Christmas, I created a Steer Family Christmas Wish List Wiki. Yes, folks. A wiki wishlist for my huge extended family. Check out what I asked for. This wiki has been well received by some members of my family, and not so well received (or received at all) from others, which is to be expected. But I think the most exciting thing about it was that a) I got to teach my family a really cool tool that I learned about in school (woah lots of rhyming), and b) it got my grandmother on the internet (she's normally terrified of it).

Then, after my money talk with M&D tonight, I told my dad about my adventures in podcasting and introduced him to Gabcast. Interesting, since my dad introduced me to downloadable podcasts a few months ago. He told me that he's been trying to find a more efficient (read: "cooler") way to communicate with overseas clients than regular email. I think he's in his office creating a Gabcast account as I type this entry.
Love it. Love my fam. Can't wait for X-mas. :) Back to my psych paper. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Caroline, the wiki is amazing! But how do you keep from peaking? I'm not even getting any of those presents and I got very excited to see all the things crossed off on people's lists. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Loveya, smartie.