Friday, June 6, 2008

The History of History

I just read this article about Machu Picchu having been discovered 40 years earlier than historians previously believed. It was originally believed to have been discovered by non-natives in 1911 by an American explorer, but the article claims that a German businessman found and looted it 40 years prior.

This made me consider history on a larger scale and wonder what history books written in 1900 were like. I should see if I can find one at a library somewhere and read it to see what kind of inaccuracies exist. The I started to wonder... what are history books in 3000 going to contain? And what kinds of inaccuracies do our books have that we are unaware of? I love that history is constantly evolving and people are discovering new things every day. I love that historians are always trying to uncover new clues about the past and consider things in new ways. I just plain love history. I have a huge list of books I want to read this summer... yay can't wait to start!

In other news, school is almost done. Just 2 more days of finals for me! Gotta finish my e-portfolio though. I should probably be working on that, instead of typing this blog, no?

No comments: