Monday, October 19, 2009

What a difference a year can make

It's been about 6 weeks of the new school year, and I have to say that being in your second year of teaching is SO MUCH DIFFERENT than being in your first year.

I feel like I have established a [positive] reputation for myself at school and that kids know what to expect in my classroom. I feel like my former freshmen that are now sophomores know what I want them to be able to do in terms of writing and class discussion, and that they are fulfilling this to my expectations.

I also feel like I still don't quite have a management/organizational/course structure plan in place that I am in love with. I know that 2nd year is much easier than 1st year, but I am also realistic in understanding that I am still growing, learning, and discovering how to be effective as well as how to actually enjoy what I'm doing and feel good about what I bring to the table. [And I really am enjoying teaching much more this year than last year. The increase in confidence and knowledge of my subject matter is tremendous.]

:)

2 comments:

lolosita said...

yay you!! i find that there are some things that are easier, but i definitely had this myth in my head that since i had my curriculum written, i wouldn't be spending so much time lesson planning - WRONG! i go back to my lessons and really get into tweaking them and changing them to be even better. i've even cut a whole unit to re-shape it. so glad it's going well and that you're feeling positive and happy in your teaching, it makes all the difference in the world. much love! i'll be home for turkey day, i'll give u a call!

xo
lo

Jacob Topp said...

Hello, my name is Jacob Topp. I'm a graduate student from the University of Michigan. For one of my classes I have to seek out and comment on blogs about education. I just wanted to comment on your post about your second year teaching versus your first year. First off, congrats on making it to year 2! Secondly, are there any new challenges you're facing in year 2 versus year 1? From what I've been told your second year goes much smoother but I was wondering about if you foresee any challenges that you didn't encounter in year 1? Do people like to you to take on added responsibilities? Are the expectations higher in your classroom as far as units and lessons? What's your favorite part of year 2? Well I hope you enjoy your holiday break!