Friday, October 19, 2007

Tech projects!

My students are doing some really cool technology projects that Jeff is facilitating through his MENAS courses: every class is participating in the China Odyssey, and International Relations is also participating in Place out of Time (POOT) and the Arab-Israeli Conflict. And I have to say that these have been such a big hit, especially for IR.

These interactive online "games" are connecting my students with other students at UM, other MI public schools, and people across the world. What a great experience for kids learning about international relations and how nations interact with one another! Particularly AIC -- students act as current world leaders and try to negotiate with others to solve the conflict. I'm not too versed with this project, but from what I've seen it's really awesome.

The China Odyssey has been particularly great for the 9th grade classes. This really opens their eyes to other cultures and customs, and helps them work on their communication skills. I also think that they're really appreciating others' comments to their posts, which tells them that people are reading what they have to say and interested in them. Plus it works on their writing skills :)

It's also interesting to talk to my colleagues about their experiences in these courses at UM and their interactions with my students. I'm participating in the China Odyssey as a "teacher", but not POOT or AIC. But I get to see both sides of the projects, which is great :)

In other school news, I taught a great lesson to Sociology yesterday about the American Dream. TG and GG (my field instructor) were really impressed and that boosted my confidence about my teaching and planning skills. It was my first time teaching a lesson that I had written myself, so I was really nervous, but I'm glad everything went well. :)

Also, Paul and I chaperoned the CHS homecoming dance last weekend...

It was... interesting. I felt really old! It was nice to see my students all dressed up, and one of my students said to me yesterday: "Ms. Steer, I always see you at stuff... in the halls, at football games, at homecoming... you're so active". That made me smile :)

No comments: