Saturday, June 30, 2007

Blogging day two

I'm really going to try to keep up with this blog and post whenever I get the urge instead of just posting for the required assignments for this course. I've tried to become a blogger a few times over the past few years, and it never really panned out because I lost interest and didn't have a whole lot to say. Based on this past week, I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of thinking and reflecting about teaching during the upcoming year and it'll be nice to have somewhere to sort it all out.

As I'm typing this entry, I'm having a conversation with a friend from high school about my student teaching placement in Detroit. In response to my idea of a semester-long current events and history research project for my kids, this is what he said:

"Its good to challenge them, but be aware u might have to slip back.... Because if they all fail, it doesn't look good. its still detroit...and alotta kids don't want to put in too much effort. Its good to be optomistic. We'll see how long that lasts. Haha lol."

What's sad is that this is not the first time I've heard this. Comments like these really make me SO MAD but inspire me at the same time. Why wouldn't I want to challenge my kids? Why wouldn't I want to give them a hard project and help them succeed? Grrrrrr....

5 comments:

Mark VK said...

Hey Caroline

I'm working on my own blog and I've been seeing what other people have up on theirs. I'm really very impressed that you chose to work in Detroit, I think it shows a commitment and idealism. I've just read the assignment in Savage Inequalities and I see now why we need GOOD teachers in urban schools.

Also, my roommate teaches math in Detroit, and he loves the kids, he says they are great. So don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Its the administration my friend has a problem with...

Mark VK

Anonymous said...

Amen. Don't give up on them, and they might not give up on themselves. They're used to people shrugging - they need someone who won't let them off the hook, and will demand that they live up to their potential.

Jeff Stanzler said...

Mark and Michael have offered you eloquent support, Caroline. I'd just add that there are a lot of kids who don't find themselves in too many situations where caring adults express confidence in their ability and a genuine willingness to help them along. You're offering a really nice gift to your students...just a reminder to be patient with those who find the prospect a bit overwhelming at first. I'm encouraged by your taking inspiration from your friend's comment--that says good things about you.

Adrienne said...

Caroline,

First of all, I think it's great that you will be observing and student teaching in an urban school in Detroit. I'm sure it will test you and everything that you come away knowing during the MAC Program, but I applaud you beforehand for your effort.

It seems after reading your blog about the resources of the school that the money put into the educational system has gone to benefit all the students through new computers and college test preparation books. With your ability to positively influence their lives and the addition of new resources, the academic potential of your students will increase :)

--Adrienne

lolosita said...

oh girl, you know how i feel about this topic. for the sake of other readers, i don't see it as admirable to teach in a district like this, it's a guttural urge, it's necessary, it's crucial. there aren't enough teachers out there who are willing to take the risks of a lower salary, less resources and larger classes in order to help the students out who *REALLY* need it. i don't believe in applauding oneself for this work, because to me, it's not about feeling good about myself at the end of the day... it's about the political desire to bring equity and basic human rights to students in detroit, in camden, in east st. louis. and to tell everyone else that these students deserve stellar education and that i believe in them.